The Historical Museum offers a wide variety of programs for both adults and children. Programs include workshops, family events, Girl Scout Badge Days, lectures, and more. Theme days and festivals, like the annual Independence Day Celebration and Forestry Day are also presented every year.
The Education Department has education trunks available for checkout or as outreach. We can come to you with outreach programs, and tours can be scheduled throughout the year. Be sure to call us at 406.728.3476 ext. 3, or go to the "Tour Inquiry" form to tentatively schedule a field trip or education program now!
United We Will Win (Exhibit Currently Travelling)
Exhibit Educational Resources (PDF)
- In Exhibit Rationing Game Recipes
- Homefront Pre-Post Activities
- In-Exhibit Rationing Game
- Poster Analysis Worksheet
- Powers of Persuasion Lesson Plan
- United We Will Win Bibliography
Helpful Websites for the Classroom
- Powers of Persuasion Online Exhibit
- Produce for Victory: Posters on the American Home Front
- "The Home Flies" Montana in World War II
Montana Historical Society Footlocker
- "World War II on the Home Front: Civic Responsibility"
Smithsonian in Your Classroom
- Farm Security Administration and Office of War Information Photographs
Library of Congress
Quotes from School Field Trip Thank You Letters
- "We've been coming here for school tours for years, and every year I learn something new from your volunteers."
- "It was so much fun. Thank you for showing us what happened in the olden days. Thank you for showing us what Lewis & Clark had with them."
- "Everyone had a really great time! Fort Missoula is awesome. Everything was so cool, no it was the best thing ever."
- "I hope I can come back millions of times."
- "Everything was so well organized and your volunteers are always so good!"
- "I really liked everything about the Fire Lookout Tower - except leaving."
- "You set up a super-duper field trip. The experiences were fun and the museum was very interesting."
- "I really don't know what I liked best because it was all great!"
- "Everyone really wishes we could come again. It was very interesting."
The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is a member of the National Council for the Social Studies and the Montana Educator's Association. The Museum is accredited by the American Association of Museums. Fort Missoula is on the National Register of Historic Places.